Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Joy of Weeds and the Beauty in Beige

As the weather is turning more welcoming, I've been taking walks on some of my breaks at work. I went for a walk the other day around the park near my work. There was a gorgeous break in the rain, so I decided to take advantage of it. While I walked around the perimeter of the park, I soaked in all of God's gifts as fully as I could. It was lovely.

While walking around the park, I started to intently study all of the different weeds, as the park is largely unlandscaped. The more I studied them, the more the weeds became more interesting, and more beautiful. There was such an incredible variety of shapes, sizes, textures, colors, designs...and I also came to realize that they actually weren't all weeds at all, some of them were wild flowers. There were yellow ones, purple bell ones, fire red ones that looked like flames, delicate pink ones, and teeny blue ones. It was as if God were putting on a show of God's abilities in creating variety in nature. I was in awe.

While leaving the park, in complement to the beautiful sky blue, a beige bird flew overhead. It was in no hurry, and the wind was helping it takes its time towards its destination. It was about 10 feet over my head, so I was able to study it a bit; it was a gorgeous beige color, with darker and lighter shades highlighting its wings and its neck. I was actually overcome with how lovely it was, this specimen of bird I had never seen before. When it finally landed on the sidewalk 30 feet or so from me, I was actually able to identify what kind of bird it was. I laughed heartily to myself, as it was a simple pigeon!

I guess my point in all of this is that God is throwing at you an incredible array of creation. Simply open your eyes and heart fully, and embrace how much God loves you through the art God provides through nature. God is beautiful. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community