Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Practice Breathing

"Practice breathing? Seriously? I do that all the time, without even thinking," you may be saying.

Well, my dear friends, with all of the health issues people have been dealing with as of late, I've definitely got more in focus with needing to know what good health means, and more importantly, how to achieve it.

While I know I still have tons to learn, I do know that it all starts with breathing. We can go weeks without food, a few days without water, but without oxygen, one could only last a few minutes. That's how crucial oxygen is to our systems. And it is: oxygen is key to the good and proper functioning of all of our organs, from our skin to our kidneys to our eyes to our brains, the most oxygen-needy organ of them all.

In reading on breathing, I've come across much information on the benefits of slow, deep breathing. I won't bore you with a step-by-step, as there are as many methods as there are people, but the goal is to fill the lungs as fully as possible and then exhale fully, in a slow, controlled manner.

The benefits of slow, deep breathing are numerous:


1.) It increases oxygen to all the organs, which means better functionality across the board.

2.) It is the most effective tool in relieving stress and anxiety.

3.) Doing 15 minutes of it before going to bed (which can be done with prayer and/or meditation) helps one sleep much better by setting your body and mind in the ready state for rest.

4.) It increases lung function and capacity, which in turn helps with respiratory issues.

5.) It increases relaxation and provides peace.

6.) It aids in battling fatigue. Tired? Practice a little slow, deep breathing and you can't help but feel rejuvenated.

7.) It helps with cramps, which is sometimes caused by lack of oxygen to the muscles.

8.) It aids in digestion, as the stomach relies on oxygen to work effectively.


While there are plenty of other benefits, these are some of my favorites. So, as often as you can remind yourself throughout the day (leave yourself notes, if need be, as I know I will for myself), even when you are doing other things, focus on your breathing and take slow, deep breaths. You'll be most glad you did. Blessings on your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community