Thursday, February 18, 2010

Always Have a Goal

One of my dear friends from work is retiring next week, and when people ask her what she's going to be doing with all her new found free time, she replies, "I haven't thought about it."

I'm a little concerned for her. Even though she's a rather dynamic person, and even quite spiritual, I worry that she's not going to have something driving her day-to-day life, like a day job has to this point. I fear she's not going to have the motivation to thrive.

When I went through the Investment in Excellence training last summer at my work, one of the points they made is that people without goals die rather rapidly. You always must be living with something you are thriving to reach, which is why, in great part, people who retire and people who are widow(er)s die so soon after the event.

Life is a journey, a path. And if you don't have a destination you would like to reach, then your path has no direction, no meaning. Use your imagination and dare to dream big. And try to make it happen. Because you never know...

I am blessed with an abundance of things to look forward to. I have some great trips coming this summer and years of surprises to come. I am especially looking forward to our next family cruise, even if it's years away. It's a beautiful and fun way to spend time with loved ones. It is joy.

Make plans. Not just any plans, though. Make plans that fill you with excitement and joy and drive you to a giddy and gleeful place. Thrive like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community