Monday, February 1, 2010

Reflecting on Wisdom from Harper Lee

Although she only published one novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 (and is one of my most favorite books), Harper Lee has shared with the world some very poignant and earthy insight and wisdom. I came across a quote from her the other day, which, as usual, seems as if it were a quote God picked out specifically for me to grow from. The quote is:


"Before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."


As regular readers of my blog are aware, my roommate moved out early December, under most unpleasant circumstances. Since then, having my surgery, and Christmas, and New Years, and recovery almost completely behind me, I now have a golden opportunity to get fully re-centered on God and reflect on reconciling my thoughts, words, and deeds with my conscience, where God is fully present. I am a good person, sure, but I could be so much better. And that's why God put this quote before me. Before I can live with someone else, be it roommate or spouse, I must get myself in proper order. And besides, I can always live more fully, do more, live more beautifully, and do so much more to spread the joy of God.

Like the quote above reiterates, one's conscience isn't a democracy or subject to what is moral according to a popularity contest; it is one's real and direct connection with God, who defines goodness itself. Not to get into a political discussion, but there are quite a few things that society has deemed legal, and by default considers "moral," even though I am fully aware that God is not in accord. But I digress (yet again)...

No one can hide from God, as God lies in wait perpetually in our consciences. Sure, we can attempt to ignore God's presence, but eventually you either give in, give up, or go insane fighting it. I choose to give in to God.



["Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat up people's gardens, don't nest in corncribs, they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." This quote, from To Kill a Mockingbird, is so soulfully beautiful, I couldn't resist posting it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community