Friday, December 18, 2009

The Joy of Television

Television is most definitely one of the best inventions of the previous century. It binds people together and exposes people to a world they most likely will never be able to experience. It is responsible for visibly connecting our global society and instantaneously sharing information with all people. It is a fantastic and important invention.

And fun. Television brings people so much joy. I can certainly attest to this. Granted, I still watch too much television (although I continue to cut back), but the shows I do watch make me very happy. So for fun, I've decided to share my favorite shows (presently airing), which are in no particular order:


Simpsons - okay, this one was listed first for a reason. Consistently goofy and great characters. This has been a joy in my life for over 20 years.

24 - I can't help but get instantly wrapped up in the action and craziness. Sure, you have to suspend belief, but it's still a really entertaining show.

Glee - the name says it all. Being set in a high school, the writing can be a shade sophomoric, but the singing is GREAT. Worth a watch, if you don't already.

Futurama - from the makers of The Simpsons, and probably better written. It never really picked up a huge following, but might still make yet another comeback this coming year. Here's to hopin'.

Heroes - although the writing is a little lacking, the fun of superheroes makes this one great to watch. But enough Sylar already!

30 Rock - currently the best live-action comedy on television. Tina Fey is a comic genius.

So You Think You Can Dance - the art of dance is so beautiful and awe-inspiring on this program, it is a must watch. And I mean it.

The Office - wonderful comedy. Still.

Ghost Whisperer - the most dramatic thing I watch, but the heart of this show is all about goodness, forgiveness, and healing. This show is emotional art, and rarely does it not make me cry. (That's right, I said it.)

Saturday Night Live - so integral to our society, it's been an institution for over 35 years. Sure, sometimes it's hit or miss on the sketches, but the hits are fabulous.


I don't tend to watch too many dramas. It's not that there aren't exceptional dramatic shows--there are a ton--but I don't really need much extra drama, sadness, murder, blood, and courtroom antics in my life. I do enjoy my comedies, which is obvious from my list. I almost put Community and Parks and Recreation on the list, as they are quite funny, but they're still in their first seasons and don't have their full legs yet.

What are your favorite shows and why? Post them here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community