Saturday, August 22, 2009

Thanksgiving flat? Try digging in.

As I was mowing my lawn this morning, it occurred to me how that task can get old to some people. Luckily for me, I'm still in my honeymoon phase, as I haven't been a homeowner for terribly long. But I know in talking to friends who own their own homes, how mowing and yardwork in general is a dreaded burden for some people. In pondering this, I asked God how I could avoid feeling burdened as time goes on. Of course, God always has guidance...

First, feel how great it is to just be outside and to breath and have health good enough for such tasks. Second, appreciate how you have a yard to mow (this one struck home for me, especially, considering I had previously lived for many years in a cramped one-bedroom apartment that didn't even have a patio or a porch--no outside space at all), as many people are not so blessed. Third, enjoy the solitude and time to pray and reflect. Fourth, think of how nice it will look after the task is done and how wonderful that sense of accomplishment feels. I could go on, but you get my point.

The important thing about thanking God for anything is to dig deep and approach it from all angles. Think about the big picture and the tiniest of details, as it is all beautiful and meaningful if you remember to reflect on them. There are quite literally an infinite number of things to thank God for. You don't have to thank God for all of your blessings in one session, you don't even have to thank God for the same things every day. Break it up, mix it up, but most importantly FEEL it. Appreciate God and everything God has given you and all of the wonderful people God has placed in your life. Start with anything you want, focus, and connect with God in real thanksgiving. This is one way to deepen your connection with God and keep it alive, real, and honest.


What are you thankful to God for? Post below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community