Thursday, October 22, 2009

For Some, Ignorance Really is Bliss

My vocation is to love God and philosophize. Those are the things that drive me. I want knowledge, I want answers, and I want to understand God and the universe as fully as possible. I enjoy learning and get excited about knowing the previously unknown.

But for some, thinking is hard. Thinking takes time, and energy. Thinking is best done as little as possible, as too much of it could...well, it's best not even to think about it. Some people, even some who are bright, willfully choose to stay ignorant and reside in a bubble, because bubbles are comfortable and safe.

But when a thinking person interacts with a willfully ignorant one...well, the potential for frustration on both sides is tremendous. One of the people I work with is rather bright, but willfully and blissfully ignorant. I see the intelligence in her, spark up conversations, but then the conversation curtails as the subject matter gets too deep or too real. There are times I just want to shake her so she'll snap out of it, but of course, that's not nice. Instead, I turn to God's calming wisdom: love and respect her as she is, she's not harming anyone. Sage advice, indeed.

Sometimes I get so wrapped up and excited about different ideas about life, the universe, and everything (the answer: 42) that I think others would be excited about them, or at least find them mildly interesting. But willfully ignorant people shun being sparked by information or new ideas. And that's...okay. I must respect that choice and just appreciate everything else they have to offer. With proper focus, you can love anybody. And who am I, anyways, to deny anyone their bliss? Bliss is wonderful. God is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community