Monday, September 28, 2009

In Solving Moral Dilemmas

A situation with a friend the other day got me to thinking...how does one solve a moral dilemma? How does one know the right solution for sure when an obvious right or wrong doesn't present itself?

Case in point: I have a friend who is going through some health-related issues. He did not tell me about it until recently because he didn't want me to worry. I was kinda sad that he didn't tell me a long time ago and immediately thought he was in the wrong for leaving me in the dark. So, the moral dilemma: should my friend have told me of his health issues much sooner?

The answer: no. Because he chose not to. He didn't tell me because he didn't want me to worry and stress while he was going through diagnosis. He was withholding this information for what he really saw as my own good; he did it as a kindness. There would have been no actual or real benefit to my knowing sooner, it was just for ego-gratification that I allowed my feelings to be a little hurt in being excluded. Because there isn't a definitive good or bad that comes from deciding either way, it was in my friend's use of his free will, in conjunction with love and concern for me, that made it the morally-correct decision.

So, in solving moral dilemmas, always check for intent. Sometimes something that, on the surface, seems hurtful, was really done out of kindness, compassion, and love. And when such a decision is made, it is the morally right thing to do, by God.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure I was truly loved by you until I officially made your blog. Now I know.

    -Diagnosed in Antelope

    ReplyDelete

God's Community