Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Keeping Your Promises

I was listening to Lou Tice's Investment in Excellence CDs in my car this morning and drew an immediate parallel between what Lou was talking about and what I was dealing with personally in letting myself down over and over and not doing the things I need, should, and want to do. Lou's point is that if you are a person of honor, someone of your word--which I am--then why do you always keep promises or commitments to others yet regularly break them to yourself? Why are you not worthy of keeping promises to? The answer is obviously: you are.

I have been afraid of certain changes I need or want to make in my life (for my own benefit), and have been able to stay away from any progress because I allowed myself excuse after excuse after excuse. No MORE! When I make a promise, vow, or commitment to myself, I'm going to be a person of honor and follow through completely, as if I were doing it for someone I love.

I suggest that you try this, too. Set good, positive goals for yourself with reasonable timeframes, and vow to yourself that you'll take the steps required to go in the positive direction you want to head. Even a little, tiny step is okay, at first. Vow to yourself you will accomplish the first step, and then once that is done, the second one won't feel overwhelming at all. And then you will build momentum, and there will be literally no stopping you. Just promise yourself you will start and not quit until you are successful. God wants you to thrive. And God wants your word that you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community