Monday, November 16, 2009

The Promise of an Enlightened Society

I went for jury duty today, and unfortunately, I wasn't called to sit on a jury. I will have to wait patiently to be called again for the chance to get on my first jury.

While I was in the cafeteria getting a canister machine mocha (which had a hint of cinnamon and was actually pretty good), I went to the register to encounter a blind man as the cashier. Odd, I thought, but I went with it.

"Is someone there?" he asked. I guess I was too still.
"Yes, hi," I said.
"What do you have?" he asked.
"A mocha from the machine," I replied.
"What color cup?" he inquired. I was tickled by his question, but laughed on the inside.
"Red," I said.
"$2.75," he announced.
I handed him a five.
"What is this?" he asked.
"A five."
I took my change and bid him good day.

But how delightful that we can live in a society in which MOST people are good, decent, and honest. It is lovely. I stood there and watched a long while. Dozens of transactions later, it was the same story: every single person honestly announced the items they were purchasing as well as the denominations of the bills. I love seeing this kind of thing, where all people understand what is good and right and just do it as naturally as breathing. We are all good, each one of us. And I know society will get to a good, fair, and kind place. Just watch for the signs, they are everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community