Friday, November 20, 2009

Vent the Steam

Ah, there's much humility to be had in trying to grasp the wisdom of God. While I still subscribe to the notion of staying focused on the positive and trying to block out the negative, I am realizing, through God's wonderful life-lessons, that things aren't always so black and white.

Today is the case in point: it was an intensely frustrating day. Work was incredibly busy and short-handed. And everything seemed to just go against how I needed or wanted them to go. Everything was testing my patience, from the dangerous commuter I encountered while on my way to work to the tedious projects my supervisor was making me address.

During all of the frustrating things that happened, I was able to maintain a decent attitude while I prayed dearly for ample patience from God. But I could feel it building and building; I could feel the possibility growing of lashing out at someone who didn't deserve it. I truly felt like a pressure cooker.

And then I got to my journal and was able to vent all of my frustrations. In text, anyway. And it helped quite a bit, although I didn't actually really feel joyful again until I talked with my bff. And although he and I didn't talk about all the junk that was annoying me, as those words were already said (to my journal), he lifted my spirits with jokes and fun.

So it is actually a good idea, from time to time when things go atrociously out of your favor, to vent your frustration. Journaling is wonderful and highly recommended, but nothing ever beats a good friend to help adjust your attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Community